Friday, July 17, 2015

Kayla Itsines Inspired Protein Shake | Recipe

Hello world!

If you don’t know who Kayla Itsines is (AKA you’ve been living under a rock), she is a fitness goddess/queen of the bikini body workout.  Click here to view her Instagram/feel inferior. 
I recently discovered a recipe she posted on Facebook for a morning protein shake, and it is awesome.  But, as the original recipe calls for a banana (which I have tried and failed many times to force myself to like), I tweaked it a little.

Instead of using 1/2 - 1 banana as the recipe calls for, I replaced it with 1/2 - 1 Weight Watchers latte bars.  Now, of course doing this is going to make the recipe slightly less healthy than if you were to use a banana.  But, the ice cream bar is only 90 calories, and you can opt to only put half in. To me, that’s a very acceptable number. I also feel that this makes the recipe a lot tastier and a much thicker consistency, which I tend to prefer.
Additionally, I sometimes like to add in a splash of vanilla extract, just for an extra bit of flavor, as without it, the drink can taste a bit bland.

So, all together here’s what you’ll need:

4 ice cubes (more if you want it thicker, less if you prefer a more liquid consistency)
1 (or 1/2) Weight Watchers Giant Latte Ice Cream Bar
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tbsp rolled oats
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 tsp honey (just a small squeeze)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (just a dash)
(optional) splash of vanilla extract



Any brand of protein powder will work.  I like to use the Trader Joe’s Vanilla Flavored Whey Protein Powder. For almond milk I use Vanilla Silk Almond Light, as it has 50% more calcium than regular milk and 1/2 a cup is only 30 calories.

Add everything together into a blender and blend until you get your desired consistency.

I accidentally added a little too much cinnamon this time, but oh well :)


Total prep time: about 5 minutes

Total calories: Using the brands I mentioned above it comes to about 180 calories if you use the whole Weight Watchers ice cream, and 135 if you only use half.



Overall, such an easy recipe to make! It’s healthy, tastes good, and can be used as a quick breakfast on the go or really any time throughout the day. Have any of you tried another recipe like this? I’m always looking for new ones. Let me know in the comments!

Click to follow me on Pinterest and Bloglovin', or email me at christinembushell@gmail.com

Bye for now,
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment