Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July Birchbox | Unboxing

Hello world!

I’m obsessed with subscription boxes, and Birchbox will probably always be number 1 in my heart. When this beauty arrived in my mail a few days ago, I was so excited. Pretty sure it made my day — is that sad?

As always, I was super pleased with the amount and variety of product I received for only $10. Every time I get a Birchbox, I feel like I’m getting away with something sneaky because it’s so cheap and I get such cool stuff.  If you’d like to see what I got this month and hear my first impressions, please keep reading!

First things first, the outside of this month’s box is so pretty! It’s such a bright and fun pattern for summer.



Inside, I received the usual 4 sample size products plus a much-awaited Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick from the summer collection.


Product 1: Rusk heat shift re-styling cream - Full size, $18.  I was a little unsure how I would feel about this product because, as far as hair goes, my routine is pretty low maintenance due to my thin/straight hair. But, after trying it out, I actually liked it.



First Impression:  I love the smell of this product because it reminds me of summer and the beach and all those good things - and who doesn’t want their hair to smell like that?? After using this, I felt my hair was a bit more textured and had more weight to it, which for me is a good thing.  The ends of my hair are so damaged (go get a haircut, Christine. I know, I know.) that the added weight/body this product gives is a definite plus.

Product 2: Klorane dry shampoo - Full size, $19.50. I was so excited when I saw this because I have been meaning to pick up a dry shampoo to try out for so long, but I forget all the time. The bottle says it’s made with oat milk which to me sounds like it would be healthy and not harsh at all on the hair - which is a necessity for my damaged locks. 



First Impression: I may not have any products to compare this to, but I felt like this was pretty high quality.  It smelled good, and felt extremely lightweight in my hair - so much so that I really didn’t feel it at all.  When it’s first sprayed on, it’s a whitish/gray color which scared me a little haha! But after brushing it out, it disappeared completely.  I used it on a day where my hair wasn’t all that greasy or really in need of a wash, but I still felt like it gave a nice revitalized look and made my roots feel fresh and clean. I also noticed that my hair looked shinier after a few minutes and even felt a bit softer.


Product 3: a teeny bottle of CC cream from Supergoop - Full size, $32.  I laughed at the name and was pleased to see that it was SPF 35.  I’m too lazy to remember to apply sunscreen everyday (which is dumb because it’s a super important step), so I’m always looking for makeup or skincare with SPF in it already. 



First Impression: The shade is light/medium which was a little dark for me, but once applied it blended right in. I was pleasantly surprised with the way it masked my dark circles because it’s rare for me to find a product that does this satisfactorily.  I only wish this tube were a little bigger because I have a feeling I’m going to go through this amount fairly quickly. 


Product 4: Full size, $18 clariSEA SeaSalt solutions rapid detox charcoal exfoliant. That was a mouthful! Basically it’s a treatment that you blend with a face cleanser.  Or, you can make it a stronger treatment by just mixing it with water or using wet hands. 

I’m really excited to have been sent this because I’ve heard really great things about charcoal products from a lot of people and how great they can be for detoxing and cleansing.  This is super fine and feels almost like sand.





First Impression: I chose not to mix it with a cleanser because I wanted to see how strong it could be on its own.  I don’t have particularly sensitive skin, but this was definitely powerful, so be careful if you are sensitive to things like that.  I really liked the way my face felt after using it - super clean.  But, I wouldn’t use this in the morning, it’s more of a nighttime routine product, in my opinion. 

Bonus Product: Finally, my favorite part of the box! The Stila Stay All Day liquid lipstick (set of 3 is $20).  I was sent a tube in the color Venezia which is a reddish/coral color and it’s super pretty. I would definitely recommend putting on some chap stick before applying this because, like most liquid lipsticks, it can be a little drying and if your lips are cracked or dry already, it will be obvious once you put this on.  

First Impression: I loved this product right away.  When I opened the tube I could tell it wasn’t very runny like some brands of liquid lipstick can tend to be and it has a really nice doe foot applicator. The brush has enough give that you can apply the product quickly and accurately without getting it all over the place.


I really like the formula of this liquid lipstick and even though it did feel a bit drying, I was really pleased with how long it lasted. Not only did it stay on all day (as it should with a name like that!) it didn’t start to get patchy until after I had been eating and drinking a lot and even after that it was only a little patchy in the center of the lips.  I was surprised that it didn’t come off at all on the ring of my cup or budge at all for the whole day. Based on my success with this color, I will probably invest in a few more colors from this range.

All in all, I was very pleased with this box and felt it was well worth the $10.  As always, well done Birchbox!

Have you received any great products from them or any other subscription box service? I’d love to hear as I’m always looking to find new brands to love! Leave a comment or email me at christinembushell@gmail.com

Bye for now,
Christine

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised these products are such good size. I've ordered a Birchbox before but they sent me really small items, so I've switched to Glossybox. Maybe I'll give Birchbox another try!!

    xoxo Emily
    http://www.ditchtheheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The CC Cream is definitely tiny! But the rest of the products are pretty decent. I've never tried Glossybox...I'll probably end up checking them out because I have literally no willpower when it comes to subscription boxes hahaha

      Delete