Saturday, July 25, 2015

Homemade Granola | Recipe

Hello world!

Granola is a healthy person’s breakfast staple. Whether you sprinkle it on cereal, add it to yogurt, or just eat it plain, it appears all over the place.  But, those boxed brands from the grocery store can be really high calorie (sometimes hundreds of calories in just one cup filled with preservatives), which kind of defeats the purpose. So here’s my take on healthy homemade granola!

There are a ton of different ingredient options you can choose from! For example, I prefer almonds and cashews, but if you prefer walnuts or something else, feel free to put those in! The list below is all my personal preferences.

Ingredients:
3 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup honey
3/4 cup mixed almonds and cashews
1/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried fruit (I like apricots, but again choose whatever you like best)
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup canola oil
1/3 cup sunflower seeds (preferably roasted, unsalted)
3 tsp brown sugar


Instructions:

Preheat oven to 300
While you’re waiting, chop the nuts into tiny pieces…my mom told me I should cover them with a paper towel and hit them with a hammer. I thought this sounded ratchet, but after a few minutes of chopping them with a knife, I wish I had gone with the hammer haha!

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon
Once these are combined, add the fruit, nuts, seeds, and chocolate chips
Stir until well mixed

In a second, smaller bowl, combine honey, canola oil, and vanilla.
Then, add to the larger bowl.
Stir everything together until well mixed



Spread the mixture in a thin layer onto the parchment paper, until the whole thing is covered
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown
Let cool once finished.
Prep time: about 15 minutes
Total time: 30-40 minutes


Have you tried any other homemade recipes? How did they turn out? Leave me a comment and let me know! Or email me at christinembushell@gmail.com 

Bye for now,
Christine

2 comments: